Seems like a while since we've discussed what we think, speculate, or "know" happens inside the portafilter basket during the various stages of extraction. A bit of this has come up in another discussion: http://www.baristaexchange.com/forum/topics/i
So a bunch of us here in Chicago are going to be taking the Megabus for
an overnight stay in Minneapolis, MN on Feb. 5th-6th. We've got kids
from Intelligentsia, Brothers K, Buzz, and the Coffee Studio so far
that plan on comi
I've been poking around on the SCAA and Barista Guild of America websites and was wondering which professional associations BX'ers were/are a part of and why.
I understand membership to each comes with discounts and assorted opportunities, but I'd l
We're a contemporary cafe in Chicago, focusing on crafted espresso drinks, brew to order coffees and a seasonal menu of soups, salads and sandwiches. We also specialize in top quality loose leaf teas, prepared and steeped by our staff and served onl
Unless its water (or possibly beer) you don't need 20 ounces of anything...especially when it contains a full mornings worth of lactate from another animal.
Has anyone experimented with using multiple tamper base shapes to find
an ideal shape when tamping for an espresso machine with a pre-infusion
feature as it relates to taste? I have used a flat bottom base for
years but started thinking about whether
I have a Aurelia Volumetric 2 group with 2 steam wands and Smart Wand and 2 Nuova Simonelli MDX grinders for sale. I had purchasedthese in May of 2008 with the plan of moving to a Caribbean
island and opening a shop. Because of the economy and cha
Recently opened "Bio Barista" my company in the business of specialty coffees. Like every barista I also had a dream of having my company, now slowly it has been a reality in my life. Currently only attend to corporate events and fairs, but soon I wan
This article came out today in runningrestaurants.com -http://bit.ly/9mMgbf and I think most of the issues - and the potential solution apply equally to the coffee shop world. Interested in views on this
I'm from a coffee shop up in Vancouver, BC, which you probably already know is hosting the 2010 Winter Games in a couple of weeks. Our store is hosting an Olympic torch, and the building complex we're part of is an official games-watching
Okay, so a selling point for me and my baristas is throwing art when we serve drinks. However, I have never taken lessons for latte art and I am not consistant with my pouring. So I am asking those out there with some experience, what are some basic
I'm sure we'll have the Super Bowl playing on the TV in our shop next Sunday. I figure we have a good venue for folks that don't want to or can't (because they're too young) hang out in a smelly, dirty bar.
I'm looking for a new tamper. I've been using the shop's basic rattleware for the last 2 years, another shop's old Reg before that. Time for something special, no?
Possibilities appear endless. I have some favorites after playing with a few, but ha