Hey, I am preparing to host a class on Alternative Brewing Methods here in Charlotte, and I wanted to research the best ways to brew with these devices. Brew with either the Chemex, vac pot, or siphon? What are the parameters you find work best for m
I want to introduce the drip bar method to our customers but, I am concerned with how demanding this process could be. What exactly do I need to think about when operating a drip bar at our shop is my question? Press pots are a given, but I am also t
I have a friend who is in the adventure travel business in Tanzania and has access to a house in the foothills of Kilimanjaro and we have discussed setting up some source trips. I was thinking of a two week trip, the first visiting plantations and th
The aurelia at our shop is runnin about 201-202 at the group but the steam preasure is at less than one bar. This seems like a really high brew temp for a really low steam pressure. If I correct the brew temp to our espresso the steam is wicked low.
So I am visiting my boyfriend here in Berlin for 4 weeks and wondering what coffee shops I should check out. I noticed that they had interesting roasting machines in 2 that I have visited. Any tips, or anyone work here in the city and would let me ch
Espresso brewing is a complicated set of variables which we as Barista's control to result in a consistent product - caffe espresso..
To ensure consistency we must reduce variables to one to get a controllable which will determine the product - the
I just found this grinder in a boiler room in our building. Can anyone tell me anything about it? (photos included) the manufacturer decals are not on it. I will be taking it apart and checking the burrs etc. on Tuesday.
Hey all! About a week ago, the crema on my shots suddenly and mysteriously disappeared. The shots don't taste wrong, except for the glaring lack of crema, that is. This was after discovering a small rock in my espresso grinder. I examined the burrs,
i seem to get conflicting points of view on this. until recently, i had been under the impression that leaving the puck in the portafilter is the way to go in order to maintain the temperature on the group head. however, lately, i've been told by bar
I have an old college friend who can't live without her Charbucks fix, and I have promised her I would find her a good indie. Anyone know of good ones there?
I know this is a pretty common question but I always seem to drink the same thing when it is warmer out and was just wondering what everyone else enjoys when the weather heats up and steamed drinks don't really cut it; like when it gets hot and humid
Hey everyone! Wanted to remind you all that Barista Exchange is now readily available on your fancy dancy iPhones! The new bX iPhone app is super easy to use and you can check new Activity, Edit your Profile, Browse Members and stay active in the For
We are seriously thinking about offering a custom brewed coffee program using the AeroPress, and was wondering if anyone else was doing this, and if you are, how are you pricing your coffee? It seems the cost of coffee needed for the cup is a good bi
ive been told i need to develop an espresso routine, that is:
same amount of beans, same tamp, same everything, and that my only variable should be my grind.
that all sounds good to me, but, lately ive been trying out changing my routine every day, m
I would like to know what my fellow coffee shop owners/managers are doing to combat McD's 100 million dollar ad campaign...Personally, I know it is having an impact on my shop, but I know some of that has to do with the previous owners selling sub-pa